There are times when it seems that you're ahead of the curve, and wish you weren't. Today is one of them.
The New York Times this week has featured reviews of a film about concrete and a book about how Canadian are different from Americans.
Damn, I thought when I saw both this morning: I've written books about those subjects too--Concrete: From Ancient Origins to a Problematic Future and Frenemy Nations: Love and Hate Between Neighbo(u)ring States, both from University of Regina Press. They got pretty good runs when they came out in 2020 and 2019, respectively, but they certainly didn't get reviewed in the NY Times. It's as if I had a couple of ideas a few years back, and spun out my versions before the zeitgeist was ready for them.
Since Meta says I can't link to the reviews, here are the titles to Google: True North by Paul Theroux and The History of Concrete by John Wilson. The Times headline says this of Wilson's work: ‘The History of Concrete’: Forget the Title, Sit Back and Enjoy. As for Theroux's, the teaser is: Canada Is So Much More Than America’s Polite Neighbor.
They both sound very interesting, but why not check out my take on the subjects too. Available from UofRegina Press and by order from your favourite indie bookstore. University of Regina Press.


No comments:
Post a Comment